This tomato salsa is a simple but amazing recipe, we have been using it for years in our house and it has become a favourite accompaniment to our Mexican tacos or Enchiladas.
- 6 large cherry tomatoes on the vine, peeled and deseeded.
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 large green chili
- 30g of fresh coriander
- 10g freshly chopped mint
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Score the tomatoes from top to bottom and place in a bowl of boiling water from around ½ minute to a minute, depending on the size.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to another bowl full of ice water. This stops the cooking process, you can leave them in ice for around a minute, once out of the ice water you will find the tomatoes easy to peel.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and de-seed them using a teaspoon. Once de-seeded cut up into small chunks and transfer to a bowl.
- Add 1 ½ Tbsp of salt and ½ tsp of ground black pepper, then mix well.
- Chop both the red onion and green chilli very finely and add to the bowl.
- Finally, chop the mint and coriander, including stalks and add to the other ingredients, add the juice of 1 lime and mix all of the ingredients together to finish.
I personally like to cover my bowl of salsa with cling film and place it in the fridge for a few hours before use, this allows all of the flavours to develop.